"Champions for Business"                                                                   Phone: (209) 537-2601 / Email: info@cereschamber.com

 
 

Ceres History


In ancient Roman religion, Ceres was a goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relationships. She was originally the central deity in Rome's so-called plebeian or Aventine Triad, then was paired with her daughter Proserpina in what Romans described as "the Greek rites of Ceres". Her seven-day April festival of Cerealia included the popular Ludi Ceriales (Ceres' games). She was also honoured in the May lustration of fields at the Ambarvalia festival, at harvest-time, and during Roman marriages and funeral rites.

Ceres is the only one of Rome's many agricultural deities to be listed among the Di Consentes, Rome's equivalent to the Twelve Olympians of Greek mythology. The Romans saw her as the counterpart of the Greek goddess Demeter, whose mythology was reinterpreted for Ceres in Roman art and literature.


Daniel C. Whitmore Home

The First Families.

The first families that inhabited Ceres were those of John Service, Cassius Warner, and Daniel Whitmore in the year 1867. Daniel C. Whitmore is considered the first family and founder of Ceres. He built his home in 1870, the Whitmore Mansion at 2928 5th Street. That home still stands, fully restored by the city and the Ceres Historical Society.

In 1903, Clinton N. Whitmore, the son of Daniel Whitmore, built a 15-room home a few blocks north of his father's original home.  Pictured at the top of this page, the Whitmore Mansion remained under the ownership of Whitmore descendants until 2005, when it was privately sold and restored by Cary and Nancy Pope. 

In 2013, the City of Ceres purchased the Whitmore Mansion from the Popes' and established the Whitmore Mansion Foundation, which is charged with the task of managing the Mansion as a historical landmark and visitor's stopping ground.


 
 
 
 
 
 

Copyright © 2016 Ceres Chamber of Commerce